Tuesday

Seasons of Waiting

2 Peter 3:8-9
“But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some count slowness.” (ESV)

Do you ever feel like things aren’t happening within your timeframe? There have been certain times in my own life where I thought, “Shouldn’t I be further along than I am now? What are you waiting on, God?” There were many in the bible who might have asked those exact same questions.

-How many years from God’s promise to Abraham until the birth of Isaac?

-How many years from Joseph’s dream until he became second in command of all of Egypt?

-How many years did Moses spend tending sheep before delivering God’s people out of bondage?
-How many years between when David was anointed King of Israel and the moment he actually became King of Israel?
-How many years between the time Jesus first said “I must be about My Father’s business” and the beginning of His ministry?
-How many years from Paul’s conversion until he was sent out from Antioch?

I first responded to God’s call on my life at 13 years old. Now, 16 years later, I feel like I am just now stepping into some of what God spoke to me way back then. During that time I was often frustrated, anxious, and in a big hurry to get to what I knew God had planned for me...as if there were some kind of finish line I was racing toward.

Just like Abraham, Joseph, Moses, David, Paul, and even Jesus, if you’re in a long season of waiting, a season of prisons, caves, wilderness, pits, and carpenter shops, just know that you’re in good company. And God is always on time.

Lord, help us to keep our eyes on You during the long, hot seasons in the desert. We know that You have great things planned for each and everyone of us, and You are working out that plan in us even now. Thank You for never leaving us without hope in any situation we face.