Sunday

Satisfied In God Alone

God, help me to be more reliant on Your Spirit and less reliant on my flesh. I am far too easily satisfied in it.

I feel like I am wasting myself on things that simply do not satisfy (Isaiah 55:2).

I want to find satisfaction and joy in the things of God alone.

I feel like James 4 is playing out within me and within my life constantly.

Why should I be blessed by the good things of God when I will most likely just squander it all?

I feel more like vs. 1-4:

"What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

But my heart is definitely in vs. 7-10:

"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you."

I know You are jealous for me (vs. 5). And I want more than anything to be satisfied in You, but my flesh is so weak (Matthew 26:41).

Thank You, God, that You have more grace (James 4:6) than my flesh has strength.

God, please help me to remove cherished sin from my heart (Psalm 66:18).

Thank You for hearing me.